- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil or butter
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 350°.Grease and flour a 9″x9″ baking pan.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour them into the pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cake should be springy on top and sides pulling slightly away from the pan.
- Cool cake on a rack. Will keep at room temperature covered for 3-4 days.
Set about a cup of the batter aside and use the rest in a half-size Bundt pan for a small Bundt cake. Filling each cup about 2/3 full, about 18 cupcakes can be made from one batch of batter.