For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil or butter
- 1 cup cold water
For the frosting
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 8 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°.Grease and flour a 9″x9″ baking pan.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour them into the pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cake should be springy on top and sides pulling slightly away from the pan. Cool cake on a rack.
- Add chocolate and butter to a double boiler and melt together. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Combine this mixture with the confectioners’ sugar in a mixer and beat until mixture looks like chalky beads. Mix in vanilla. Add milk a little at a time until desired consistency. Beat until fluffy.
- Spread on cooled cake. Will keep at room temperature covered for 3-4 days.
Set about a cup of the batter aside and use the rest in a half-size Bundt pan for a small Bundt cake. Filling each cup about 1/2-2/3 full, about 24 cupcakes can be made from one batch.
Frosting from this recipe with some help from the comments.