Moroccan Sweet Potato & Chickpea Stew
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 ¾ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15oz of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (about one 15oz can, drained & rinsed)
- 3 cups spinach
- Cook the quinoa and set aside.
- Dice the onion and mince 3 cloves garlic. Chop the sweet potatoes into 1/2″ dice.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot. Saute the onion for about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute about 1 minute.
- Bring to a boil, then add sweet potatoes and chickpeas. Simmer 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in 3 cups spinach in the last 2 minutes.
Add in spices, stir about 30 seconds, then add diced tomatoes and broth.
Adapted from this recipe.
I usually use fresh tomatoes and omit the spinach when I want to make it kid-friendly. Kale or collard greens work well too.