Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, ideally boneless & skinless
- Prepare the marinade: add lemon juice, olive oil, and spices to a bowl and whisk together. Add the chicken thighs and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 1-12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Lay chicken pieces evenly across a sheet or roasting pan. Resist the urge to dump the remaining marinade over the chicken!
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, until chicken is brownedwith crisp edges and cooked through. Allow chicken to cool slightly before serving. After a few minutes cooling, the chicken can be shredded although I usually just leave it in whole pieces and serve with plain yogurt on the side.
adapted from Sam Sifton’s NYTimes recipe.