- 10oz raw pistachios, shelled*
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt*
- 1 egg white
- 12oz chocolate
- Pulse the pistachios in a food processor until they are ground finely. The texture should be similar to that of corn meal. Add the powdered sugar and salt and pulse until the mixture resembles a fine powder.
- Add the egg white, about a quarter at a time, and pulse until well mixed. You may not need the whole egg white – once the mixture begins to clump around the food processor and has a texture similar to Play-Doh, you are done. Be careful not to add too much egg white or the mixture will become too sticky.
- Remove from the food processor and place in a bowl. You can make simple balls by rolling a bit of the dough between your palms. When I make these with my daughter, we like to create all kinds of shapes – mushrooms, small animals, and more. Place finished shapes on a baking sheet lined with foil or waxed paper. Once the balls are cool to the touch, you can drizzle melted chocolate over top of them or use toothpicks to dip your marzipan into melted chocolate.
- Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to set the chocolate. Devour them all or share with friends… your choice! You can store marzipan in an airtight container for about a week in the refrigerator.
*You can use salted pistachios. In this case,you’ll need to omit the 1/4 tsp of salt.
Adapted from Elizabeth LaBau