- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 3 tsps olive oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 head of garlic, top removed to expose cloves
- 3/4 cup of tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 5 cups of beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 340°F. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or oven-proof heavy lidded pan. Sear the meat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until a dark crust forms. Once seared, set the meat aside on a plane.
- Reduce heat to a medium and add oil, head of garlic, and vegetables. Stir frequently, scraping the bottom of the pot, for about 8-10 or until vegetables start to change color.
- Add tomato paste and cook until darkened slightly, stirring often. Add bay leaves, rosemary and soy sauce and cook until the liquid is reduced to a thick gravy consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pot, add the broth and cover. Place the pot in the oven and cook for 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and let sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes. Once cooled, place the meat on a cutting board and slice. Discard bay leaves, rosemary stems and garlic skins, from the sauce.
- Meat can be served individually in bowls or on a platter along with vegetables and sauce ladled over the top.
Adapted from this recipe by Brett Anderson