Red Lentil Stew
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 ½ cups diced sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger*
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander*
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin*
- 2 teaspoons turmeric*
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until semi-translucent. Add sweet potato and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add ginger, if used, and garlic, mix into onions and sweet potato, and reduce heat to low.
- Add lentils, and spices to pan and mix well. Add tomatoes and 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a fast simmer and cook uncovered for about 25 minutes, or until lentils and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Once soft, add salt if necessary and simmer for a few minutes more until stew thickens.
- Makes about two quarts. Tastes better after one day in the fridge.
*I usually use 3 tbsp of garam masala instead of these spices.
Adapted from this recipe