Notes from the Kitchen:
- 36 ounces silken tofu (soondooboo)
- 1 cup kimchi
- 3 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes or gochugaru
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups water
- 6 tablespoons kimchi juice
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 9 ounces shredded meat of choice or sliced shiitake mushrooms (or both!)
- Optional: 4 eggs
- Slice the scallion thinly and set aside.
- Chop the kimchi into small pieces. Place it into a pot, along with the pepper flakes, garlic and toasted sesame oil. If adding meat and/or mushrooms, add them as well and stir-fry together over medium heat until nearly cooked.
- Add in the water and kimchi juice. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and break into large chunks. Cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place into four bowls while boiling hot. If desired, crack an egg into each bowl and carefully tuck under the tofu to cook. Sprinkle the chopped scallions over each bowl. Serve after a few minutes.
Serves four. Add more chili flakes if you want more spice. Serve with rice and kimchi, pickled vegetables, and anything else you like.