Notes from the Kitchen:
- 1 – 1 1/8 cups of lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast, or 1 packet active dry yeast, dissolved in 2 tbsp of the water in the recipe
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until dough stops sticking to sides of bowl. Let rest for 20-30 minutes, allowing flour to absorb liquid and bran to soften. This will make kneading easier.
- Grease your hands and knead dough until smooth and suppple (about 6-8 mins) on a lightly greased surface. If needed, adjust consistency with flour or water
- Place dough in a bowl, cover it and let rise for 1-2 hours until puffy.
- Preheat the oven to warm and turn off. Gently un-puff the dough, transfer it to a lightly greased surface and shape into an 8″ loaf. Place in a 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pan, lightly rub a bit of oil on top and let rise for 30-45 mins in the oven. Remove before it rises 1″ higher than the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. and bake for 40 minutes. Place an aluminum foil tent on about halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and turn out of the pan onto a cooling rack. Let cool before slicing.
Use more water in dry weather; less in summer or high humidity.