In no particular order.
- Saga by Fiona Staples & Brian K. Vaughan
- Anything by Carla Speed McNeil, most especially Finder
- Kaijumax by Zander Cannon
- Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan & Cliff Chiang
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North & Erica Henderson
- Head Lopper by Andrew MacLean
- Murder Falcon by Daniel Warren Johnson
- Bone by Jeff Smith
- Monstress by Marjorie Liu & Sana Takeda
- Pretty much everything by Jill Thompson, especially Scary Godmother and Beasts of Burden.
- The Autumnlands by Kurt Busiek and Benjamin Dewey.
- Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai
- Ray Bradbury is my all-time favorite author. Dandelion Wine might be my favorite book of his but I love them all so much.
- Lynda Barry’s Cruddy is probably my second favorite book and her 100 Hundred Demons is pretty fantastic too.
- The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin
- The Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed
- The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
- Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Series, especially Thud! and Going Postal
- G. Willow Wilson’s two graphic novels – The Bird King and Alif the Unseen
- The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
- Most of the Tiny Epic games, especially Tiny Epic Quest: Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Galaxies
- The Small World series of games, especially Underground and the Necromancer’s Island expansion
- Pokémon the Card Game. The Let’s Play Pokémon starter pack is probably the best place to start.
- Super Dungeon Explore by Ninja Division
- Lots of couch co-op games on Nintendo Switch – Overcooked, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, and Diablo III.
- I’m currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Nintendo Switch. It hasn’t moved me as deeply as Xenogears did when I first played it on the Playstation a bazillion years ago but it’s pretty good. Sixty hours in, I have finally/maybe figured out the battle system.
My musical heart will forever belong to my favorite turntablists (Cut Chemist, DJ Shadow, Kid Koala, Dan the Automator, DJ Rap) but I work mostly to film, tv and game soundtracks. Current rotation includes:
- Whip It
- So much by Yoko Kanno, including Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Escaflowne, and Arjuna
- Into the Spiderverse score by Daniel Pemberton
- Guardians of the Galaxy score by Tyler Bates
- Pretty much any Tarantino film score & soundtrack
- Lots of Keith Mansfield
- Songs You Know but Can’t Identify – Spotify playlist full of catchy screen music
I picked up a refurbished one on eBay to store loads of music (60GB!) and play it in the car. Because it has actual buttons and a click wheel, it’s super easy to use without looking at it, which is pretty important when the driver is also the only passenger. It also sounds amazing. I was curious why and ended up falling down a fantastically nerdy wormhole of articles like this one that minutely break down the differences in music handling between iDevices.
I like shooting in 1:1 format so much that I built my own grid picture frames for the family “photo feed” in our dining room. Thankfully, in addition to all the other cool stuff it does, X-T1 will let me shoot 1:1. I angle the adjustable screen 90° up so I can look down on the camera in my hands while I shooting as if it were an old Rolleiflex. So far, the 18mm lens in my favorite.